Friday, April 16, 2010

Dating A Celebrity


I have been wandering around online, looking for other dating blogs similar to this one that I could read and comment on, using their entries as fodder for my own.

Today, one of the many I found was the Dating Support Network through my account on Blog Catalog.

One of its recent posts brings up the topic of Celebrity Dating, and it reminded me of my own adventures from years ago.

Have You Ever Dated A Celeb?


When I was 23, I was introduced to an athletic gentleman whose social circles brushed occasionally with mine.

In his 30s, he was fit, flexible, friendly, and well-liked.

I shook his hand during the personal introduction and said some friendly words, noticed how incredibly YUMMY he was, but kept my cool and continued along my way before my composure broke.

I spent the rest of the evening as part of the group that interacted with this attractive and inspiring athletic leader, and I watched how he worked with people and how they responded to him in return. I listened to the excited chatter of the teenagers after the session was complete, and laughed at how much of an effect this man had had on our small group.

Over the next year, I became aware of just how far this man's social influence had stretched, and how many people held him in a place of admiration in their hearts and minds. Both men and women lit up when his name was mentioned - young or old, anyone who had been able to spend even one evening learning from this athletic leader spoke of him with great enthusiasm forever afterwards.

So when he asked to drink from my cup after a hard workout, and I offered it to him saying "sure, but there's a love potion in there, so be careful", I'm not sure what got into me, other than to think that a guy so popular would never look at me, and therefore I didn't care that he might take me seriously.

Him playfully shrugging it off and then locking eyes with mine as he took the first drink ... was completely unexpected.

There were at least 10 others around us at that time, but the world disappeared and for a moment, only he and I existed.

What was to happen over the next two years would serve as fodder for thought for the 12+ that have passed since.

Stay tuned for more posts about this topic, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment